What’s the sneakiest axle-crusher you’ve hauled on a site — wet clay, 3/4 minus, riprap, crushed concrete? I scaled 27.4 tons with just 11 yards of saturated sand after a 2 a.m. downpour on a school pad, and it had me rethinking how I eyeball the loader’s bucket.
Saturated 3/4-minus with fines has smoked my axles more than anything; riprap looks scary but the voids save you. After a rain, do you run a single bucket over the scale for a per-bucket number or do a quick ‘squeeze test’? I set the loader counter off that first weigh, otherwise you’re hauling wet anvils.
Saturated DG with binder is my sneakiest axle-crusher — after a 2 a.m. soaker it loads like wet cement. My move is to have the loader zero his onboard scale and give me a per-bucket number, then drop one bucket from my usual count on the first pull; , slow, but it keeps me from repeating your “11 yards, 27.4 tons” surprise. @cbrown91 is right about voids saving you — was that river sand or a masonry blend?